Continuous running, road driving simulations, determining consumption – our cutting-edge dynamometers test everything from e-bikes to vans. We turn the dynamometer into a road. We determine the actual consumption – for your drive concept!
Measuring emissions under real driving conditions
The air quality in city centers is a global problem – not just in megacities around the world, but in Germany too. For this reason, vehicle emissions such as nitrous oxides and ultrafine particles are regulated by European Commission legislation. In order to determine sensible limit values, measurements are now taken where emissions really occur: during actual driving.
Europe is the global leader when it comes to developing processes to determine real emissions, including the requisite evaluation methods, parameters, limit values and measurement devices. Specialists from TÜV Hessen also sit on the relevant expert committees. The European Commission has put together four legislative packages for measuring and regulating real emissions, which will be introduced gradually. The PEMS technology was continuously developed alongside this.
Currently, TÜV Hessen conducts complete measurement campaigns for RDE certification of Euro 6d-TEMP vehicles in accordance with the third RDE legislation package (EU Regulation 2017/1154). These include:
- PEMS installation
- correlation of PEMS measurement results with those from the chassis dynamometer
- conditioning drives and soaks
- RDE measurements beginning with cold starts
- RDE measurements with engines at operating temperature
- Analysis and inspection of parameters required for a valid drive
- Separate emissions analysis for complete journey and city section
- Provision of electronic measurement results for the approval body
- Preparation of an inspection report
- Presentation of the measurement results for the public website, which can be viewed by consumers
Real emissions also for mobile machines and heavy commercial vehicles
With EU Regulation (EU) 2017/655, the Real Driving Emissions test procedure was also defined for mobile machines with Euro V emissions category. This affects the NRE-v-5 and NRE-v-6 engine classes with engine power ranging from 56 to 560 kW. These machines are tested under real conditions, for example on construction sites or during agricultural use. Heavy commercial vehicles have been subject to mandatory Real Driving Emissions testing since the introduction of Euro VI emissions standards. TÜV Hessen provides all corresponding services.